Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ethics question



I shot this picture on Thursday.

We did a story about the woman earlier in the week. She is going on a hunger strike to protest the way she is being treated by some sort of disability agency.

This picture is about her 16 year-old-son who is putting together a petition to support his mother.

My question is a simple matter of 'manipulation'. I used 'traditional' darkroom techniques to get rid of a reflection that I did not notice until I was back at the office. All I did was burn out the hilights and midtones, but in effect it erased the reflection.

Is this ethical or does it overstep boundaries? Would you do it? Does it even really make a difference in the final image?

Let me know what you think, or how your paper would deal with it...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question Pike. I think you should leave the reflection in the picture. Although it does not directly impact the subject of the picture, the picture was probably possible to take without the reflection if you had noticed it at the time.

12/1/07 1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not my pics

12/1/07 8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah yes, it's my picture

12/1/07 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Pike....the kid looked like you.....so your name popped into my head. :)

12/1/07 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hah, zing. at least those boyish looks are good for cheap tickets while traveling eh pike.

i don't think the mirror really effects enough to have burned it out, i would have left it in.

12/1/07 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too say leave it in. Im not opposed to dodging and burning. I just dont think you should burn to the point of getting rid of something.

14/1/07 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could go either way, I did not notice the reflection right away, maybe with a bigger image I would have. Personally, I would have probably burned it down. Even if you just used the burning tool on the highlight setting and gave it a swipe at 10% or 20% to bring it down a bit.

15/1/07 8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It ended up running with the highlight burned down. It ran pretty small, in black and white. Our paper (and I suppose most) prints a it dark so you can't see the highlight at all.

I suppose it wasn't really that big of a deal having it there, I suppose I was more mad at myself for not noticing until I got back.

Ryan

15/1/07 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home