Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Quebecor cuts 120 positions at Sun Media; expects to save $4.6 million annually

120 jobs cut through out Sun Media.

Dave Abel was the shooter that got let go in Toronto. He's got eight weeks left there. Rick VanSickle was the Photo Editor that got let go. He was slated to go on holidays in a week and a half, so he just left yesterday when he found out. I talked to Mike Peake at the Sun, he's kind of in charge of the Photo Department now. He told me that technically I should be let go as well, but there has been no mention of letting me go yet. There's a union meeting today, and they're apparently going to figure this all out then. So heres hoping I'm still working.

The bright side of it is, is that if I get let go, I would have 8 weeks left, which is only 2 and 1/2 short of how long I was going to be there anyways.

So Blair, you were saying that none of your photogs got affected, if they had, would it have been you? as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, it's based on seniority, and are you not the newest guy there? Good thing no one got let go, if so.

I'll let you guys know whats going on with my position as soon as I know.

Joe O'Connal

5 Comments:

Blogger photogs said...

Sad, sad, day in the land of photojournalism.

Best of luck Blair! We're rooting for you.

Seems that our industry is in troubled waters... what can we do? learn to write?

marc

21/6/06 12:49 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Honestly, yeah.
Writing and photography is where it's at, you'll have a far better time finding a job if you don't already have one as I experience when I got my job at Kingston's weekely paper, everyone's beginning to want writer and shooters.

And as for job cuts that's sad, good luck in future endevours all, i hope this find you well.

[Joe, bring Nikki and yourself to visit me now. haha.]

21/6/06 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Video is what is coming. They are putting video cameras in our hands. Writers are being fired, videographers and video editors are being hired. You do the math, then go back to school.
Learn how to design websites and edit video for online use. Become an expert.

I would have been fired. We already have two unfilled photo positions, that is the only reason we were not cut.

21/6/06 9:56 PM  
Blogger photogs said...

Blair- Great to hear you're safe and sound...

---

Video- I don't understand this video push. What's the big deal? Why do our readers want it?

Instead of sitting idle and watching the decrease in readership and interest, maybe there's something we can do?

marc

21/6/06 11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Woods of the Winnipeg Sun just quit, possible position open there . . . wonder if they will fill his spot or just let it be empty.


-pike-

22/6/06 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home