Tuesday, March 14, 2006

snow-covered road warrior blues



Hey softies,

been up here in Whitehorse working at the Yukon News for almost a year now, hard to believe. Although I feel like I'm completely out of the loop with the business down there, I get the opportunity to cover some unique northern stories.

I just returned from a month on the road. First it was the Yukon Quest Dogsled Race, which took me through the wilds of Alaska and the Yukon for 16 days. Lucky for me it was one of the warmest races in quite awhile, so gear freezing wasn't an issue.
Normally I write and shoot, but for the Quest, we sent a reporter as well, so I was free to spend my days chasing dog teams through the bush, and climbing mountains to get that perfect shot. It was an amazing experience for sure, and one I'll never forget.
After returning home, completely burnt out. I had to turn around and head back to Alaska for the Arctic Winter Games. Not as cool as my first trip, but still an interesting experience. Had to shoot and write this time, though, and that's a real drag.

The coolest part of the Arctics was the Inuit Games, traditional sport events that test agility, strength and the ability to tolerate pain. I've posted shots of the knuckle hop, one-hand reach, and one foot kick.
Not great photography, but an interesting event anyway.



- Ian Stewart

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh Chilly Willy!!!!

15/3/06 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home